|DSP Five Gateway Opportunities, click to enlarge|
- The Laguna Beach Independent "The First Try at Downtown Update Misses the Mark." Independent article here.
- Draft Downtown Framework, Task 2.13, MIG Consultants, July 2016 here.
- MIG Consultants Task List here.
What MIG offers us in the Draft Framework:
- 5 locations as Gateway Opportunities for development (p3,14,15)
- Parking: Las Brisas, V Entrance, NE Broadway&PCH, Act V
- Pedestrian Scrambles
- Parklets on Forest Ave
- Bike friendly Ocean Ave, 100 yards of bike access
- Way-finding signs to parking lots
- Pedestrian chicken-strips at Cliff and PCH
- Pedestrians are traffic calming devices, Forest & PCH!
- Permeable multi-use path for the Village Entrance
- Re-purpose downtown alley(s)
- Specific street improvements follow:
- Forest Avenue: "Amplify the existing streetscape amenities"
- Ocean Avenue: Modify as bike-friendly street
- Broadway: Visually connect downtown to Main Beach via plazas
- Move transit station out of town
- Bike and Ped access for Broadway not recommended
|Will Laguna build a banana peeler?|
What MIG forgot:
- Autonomous cars
- Car Share
- Bike Share
- Transit stops at Gateways
- OCTA Regional Corridor
- Lightrail terminal plan
- Embellish the existing Transit Station
- Pedestrian Zones
- No Pocket Parks see Parklets
- Modified, In Lieu or relaxed parking requirements
- Substitute beach transit for parking spaces to satisfy Coastal Commission