Wednesday, August 30, 2017
Friday, August 18, 2017
While claiming to support cycling alternatives to the car, these photographs show the true status of bicycle parking at the Laguna Beach Sawdust Festival after the steel Magnolias were installed. The sculptures remain a colorful distraction to the real need for Sawdust bike parking. Artists rely on bikes but the City relies on image, when will the City opt for car alternatives? Judge for yourself (click photos to enlarge).
|April 2016 Bike Rack Stunt|
Transport by bicycle is one way to relieve Laguna's car saturated mobility system but in 2012 the City disapproved bike racks for Sawdust Festival. Effective transport infrastructure is less about opportunistic political photo-ops with city cheer-leading, and more about commitment to Complete Street Policy with effective planning and design. Clearly Artist Liz Avalon is good at design. -LS
Friday, August 11, 2017
|Click for Credit: LA Times Story|
- 6500 parking spaces
- Staging areas outside the park are impractical, even un-American
- Car driving is free-choice, buses are socialism - Board of Supervisors
- Each year tourists bring $686 Million to Yosemite Valley
- Car entry fee $30
- Park's latest pilot plan: 150 parking spaces available for $1.50 on-line fee
- Laguna gets 6 million visitors per year (Visitors Bureau)
- Yosemite has a million to go
Clearly Yosemite needs more parking, like a parking garage. Mebbe eight? Decades ago the Yosemite Valley Railroad served the valley with passenger trains, restoration of the rail is politically unpopular and financially challenged, but you can still trace the old railbed by car.
UPDATE: 10/23/17 Car entry fees are expected to double, $70 per vehicle will pay for bathrooms, parking lots and road construction. Building more car infrastructure draws more cars, what better example than Yosemite. -LS
Columbus Ohio doesn't have a rail system and they aren't building 8 parking structures. Instead they are buying bus passes for 43,000 workers.
|Click for CITYLAB story|
- Office rents tumble, vacancies up, business blame insufficient parking, sound familiar?
- Building parking structures is cost prohibitive and futile
- Developers, property owners, employers, and cities subsidize actual parking costs
- Parking Requirements tie cars to job access
- Building owners pay for Free-Pass instead of Parking Requirements
- Pilot Free-Pass program doubled ridership, frees- up parking
- Laguna Beach Live/Work take note